her thoughts

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Going back in time for the week

Thurs

Lunched with these dearies and Chanel at BigO. We took ages to decide on our orders, and when we were finally decided, Aikky and Deir's order was not available. So they had some stew with fragrant rice. Yummylicious bacon wrapped chicken leg for me! And for the joke of the day.. Okay, maybe it was me again. When I read my order to the waitress, it suddenly dawned on me that I could have ordered something exotic like chicken feet, especially when she mentioned that it comes in small yaki-tori-like pieces. So I had to change my order to something else, no way was I going to have chicken feet. But on a double confirmation, she said it was thigh meat. Why can't they just state it as chicken thigh?

The rest of the afternoon was a time for pampering and shopping. Chanel did her eyelash perming for just 25 bucks. -Free Advertisement up ahead- Aikky and I succumbed to temptation and signed up for the Swan Nails privilege card for 28 bucks, and it comes with 1 classic manicure (worth $23), 1 classic pedicure (worth $33) and a relaxing nutrient spa, 20% off Ala-Carte, nail art and french polish (both worth $20) for 3 express mani & pedi each. -End of advert- We got ourselves a good deal!

Cell was at smu this week. Turn out was good - a total of 8 this week! =) We all had something to thank the Lord for this week. And the main take home message was to reflect on whether we are glorifying God in the things we do. Is God the Lord of my time, resources, energy? A call for better time management, for me.

'For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.' -Romans 1v21

Wed

This was what I thanked the Lord for during cell, for this week - being able to spend time with Dad. He took the day off, had lunch at Simply Bread, before sending me to school.

The rest of the afternoon was spent at Cibavisions contact lens plant, getting to know the various manufacturing processes. My class seemed the most enthusiastic, because apparently our civics tutor instructed our class rep that the visit was compulsory. Of which we found out, only on the day itself, that it was only an 'encouraged to go'. I shall not go into the details, but it was an educational trip. Of course, an enjoyable day with the dearies.

I headed back to the east, and met Dad for Arctic Tale, a documentary as narrated by Queen Latifah. It was the only show that interest my Dad. It was educational, and rather interesting. What really set me thinking was the difference in how walruses and polar bears lived. Walruses stick together as a big big family, and do everything together. When one decides it's time to leave the shrinking mass of ice platform, the rest follow after, abandoning it. The group mentality. On the other hand, the polar bears, all high and mighty, live such lonely and independent lives. Nanu, the polar bear, was abandoned by mama polar bear at the age of 2 because they will not be able to survive otherwise. Though unwillingness was expressed by both parties, they still had to leave their only family. Also, polar bears face danger when they are near a male polar bear, because it will attack them. I couldn't figure the reason.

Given a choice, would you rather be a walrus, with 200pounds of blubber, being a very sought after meal, but having a big family there for you, or the polar bear, seemingly the king of the arctic, but yet lonely?

I am thinking too much. On a lighter note, the kid beside me was really into the show, asking all sorts of questions inquisitive children will ask. Like, why is the ice cracking? Oh ya, and there was this scene that kind of tickled, when all the walruses were herded together and they even pass german gas together, after a 400-clam meal. The kid turned to his mum and remarked that it wasn't funny. So cute.

Tues

Hairspray-ed with Junren and Gabs. Nice show! Although I prefer Grease and High school musical anytime.

Band was all sightreading of some challenging pieces. And I totally suck at sightreading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home